Thursday, January 10, 2013

Mediterranean Tofu Pocket w/ Jicama Fries


I took THIS recipe from Food Network Magazine (that my grandmother so generously signed me up for. Thanks Grandma!) But I tweaked the recipe a bit... or a lot... and made it a Mediterranean dish while simultaneously improving it's calorie count. Also, this is my first time ever cooking with tofu and it wasn't half bad, in fact, it was tasty! So, here's my version.


  • 1 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu
  • 1 small onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
  • 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Juice of 1 orange
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 Tablespoons spicy mustard
  • 2 Tablespoons feta cheese
  • 1/2 kosher dill pickle, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
  • 2 Tablespoons of baba ganoush  

Lay the tofu on a cutting board and cut horizontally into 8 equal slices. Put in a shallow dish with the onion, garlic, olive oil, chili powder and half of the orange juice and turn to coat, add the rest of the juice; marinate 5 to 10 minutes. (*While you're letting the tofu marinate, click HERE to get started on some amazing Jicama Fries)
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Turn the tofu to coat, add to the pan and cook until golden, 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. 

Take a large pita pocket, cut in half or use two small pita pockets. Spread baba ganoush in pockets, drizzle spicy mustard, stuff with tofu and pickle, sprinkle with feta.

I stored the extra tofu in a tupperware in my fridge with a bit of the marinade drizzled over it so it will be extra tasty when I add it to my meals later.

Enjoy!

Total Calories: 253
w/ Jicama Fries: 299

No comments:

Post a Comment