Thursday, January 10, 2013

Jicama Fries


Admittedly, I had never heard of Jicama until I read about it in a magazine. I still don't even know how to say it's name properly**. But, I thought I'd be brave and give the weird named vegetable a try. Read more about it and it's health benefits HERE. Anyway, I gave it a shot and first thing I noticed was that the texture is a little different. It's like a mix between a raw potato and an apple and it's also a little sweet, but not terribly. I dipped them in baba ganoush and really enjoyed them! I think your average ketchup or hummus would also go nicely as a dip for these little guys.

Jicama Fries:
peel the jicama using a sharp knife and cut into sticks. 
Toss in a bowl with fresh squeezed juice from 1 orange and add 2 teaspoons chili powder.
Let marinate for 3-5 min.
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add Jicama sticks, move around with a spatula until golden brown. 

Total Calories: 46 per 1 cup serving

**Update:  A friend enlightened me on the pronunciation and it turns out I have hear of this veggie, I just wasn't aware of it's spelling. It's "Hick-Ah-Muh"

No comments:

Post a Comment