Thursday, January 10, 2013

Dolmas!


I LOVE dolmas or dolmades. I order them whenever my husband and I go out for Greek food. After wanting to try my hand at making them myself, for years now, I finally buckled down and decided to just go for it. It was a lot more time consuming than I anticipated and totally worth it. I'd say I spent about 2 hours total on them. Not a terribly long time, but, I'm usually inclined to post quick/easy meals on here that are suitable for the busy Mama life. However, these are just so good and I prepared a whole bunch so I could refrigerate some and have them ready and waiting for me to nibble on for the next few days.

You'll need:
1 jar Grape Leaves in vinegar brine (I found mine at Whole Foods)
1 cup white rice, long grain
1 cup red lentils
1/2 a red tomato
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
3 Tablespoons dill
1 clove garlic
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion

To make filling:
Cook rice and lentils as directed on packaging.
Combine/mix rice, lentils, tomato, lemon juice, half of the dill, garlic and half of the oil in a bowl.

Spread out individual grape leaves on a baking pan. Spoon your rice & lentil mixture into the center of each grape leaf (make sure you don't over fill them so you can roll the leaves up) place rolls close together, let sit for 5 min and serve with your favorite hummus!

Total Calories: 150 per 2 dolmas

No comments:

Post a Comment