Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Mini Eggplant Pizza


I don't care how much you hate eggplant, you will never convince me that this recipe isn't awesome. Because it is. Now, originally I had bought this big ol' eggplant with the intention of making it into eggplant chips. But, I waited too long and when I saw it in the fridge tonight, I knew I had to use it quick or else I'd have to dump it in the next day or two. So here we are. This is my first attempt at a "gluten free" crusted pizza and I might be tempted to say I like it better than the bready stuff. I even found it almost equally as filling!

You’ll Need:
1 eggplant, sliced
1/2 cup pizza sauce (I didn't have any pizza sauce, so I used THIS insta-sauce recipe! I threw in some pepper flakes to make it spicy and a dash of salt and I was plenty happy with the way it turned out)
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
2 tsp olive oil for brushing
toppings as needed


I used these for toppings:
shredded cabbage
fresh spinach leaves
jalepeno
cheese
and on a few of them I put salami pieces, because my husband loves it. 

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 
Brush each side of the eggplant slices with olive oil, then sprinkle both sides 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper. Place the eggplants on a baking sheet and bake until they are soft and a tiny bit brown, 6-7 minutes.
Spoon the tomato sauce on the eggplant slices, add cheese and toppings. Put in oven for another 4-5 minutes. I also broiled mine for about 2 minutes to give it a little more crisp feel.
Let rest for a second and ENJOY! 

Total Calories: approx 155 per mini eggplant pizza
It would take almost 3 of these to equal the amount of calories in just ONE slice of your average pepperoni pizza, guys. Juuuust sayin'


1 comment: